Friday, October 5, 2007

Assignment 4


The day after an artist’s perspective
Location: Pagoda Street –Shop house
Time: about 5pm. The sky was dark and was drizzling.


It is simple, playing with the dynamism of different perspective and the illusion of time. I started the first picture with the color one. It inspired me to build on the whole montage. After the so called ideal picture was taken, when seen the next day, the rest of the shop houses become part of the past, sense of nostalgia.

I venture into a few techniques for this picture; I try to create this fish eye lens on top, while ending with a almost concaving effect as the building collapsed into the ground. The achieved that the alignment of people may seem distorted but the idea was to create something that none of the wide angle lens can achieve. My concern is not so much of the people, rather the building. The details and lines of the building are used as guide to link up the building.

Challenge
It is lucky that the sky was dark and I manage to get this looming effect and the sky was not overexposed. Challenge is to take photos in the rain. I overlapped the pictures to cut out those that capture the raindrops.

(*updated)Grade
Ok since I got quite good feedback from the class, I am giving myself 100 for creativity, 100 for concept idea of montage and 100 for skills and technique. As a new photography there is really room for improvement.

Final Verdict: 100/100 , because after reading comments from the class and assess that I nail this week's assignment of how a montage which be read and presented.


Day after day – cai pen store damn hot (Chinese mixed food store)

I want to add a little humor towards the picture using the title. The picture may look serious but actually not so. Day after the queue for the stall is always so long. It seems always the same in all hawker centre that what stalls always have the best business. However many of times, we pay little attention to the people eating there. The exchanged of gaze, the self-absorbed. The two seemed oblivion to the que behind them.

I shot many shoots from different views and focal length, playing around with the viewer’s eye. There is little fish eye lens effect

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice perspective and composition! You got a perfect 10 on my blog. Good work girl.

Celeste
nm3223celeste.wordpress.com

Jialin said...

Hey thanks, your picture reminded me of Van Gogh, those yellowish paintings he did. Thats was clever of you to remove those modern buidings at the back =)

I tried to leave a comment on ur blog but can't, how come ar?

qiyi said...

I really love this piece, i'd say it's your best work by far! I told paul in class I would so buy it if it was for sale :)
Perhaps because you're an artist and have some bkgrnd knowledge, such interesting compositions and perspectives comes more naturally to you... I'm really impressed though and wished I had tt eye too :(

jzmyn said...

Heys!

Though i rarely comment on yours, but this is awesome! so must say out loud!!

Wanna let you know i love the perspective and ingenious play with color, took me off. =P

This is also one very interesting composition and im falling in love with it. Thumbs thumbs up.

-jas

Jialin said...

Thanks ! Jas whats your URL/blog?