Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Assignment 5-Creep

Creep is a very subjective and abstract word. In my series, I play around with how the ladder with two pails is creeping into the frame. More significantly I want to portray creep as a feeling of being rejected.

Location: Chinatown narrow alley
Formalism - focusing on the design and patten rather than what it is. Here there is a pair of rounded rectangular curves with verticle lines, contrasting with the soft and weak strings.


Expressionism 1

The class felt that it is too similar to the realism picture (last photo). Mr Reddy felt that he couldn't feel what I was really trying to portray.

Expressionism 2

After the class, I was actually feeling quite down about it, cos it was after so much hard work it seems to be down to nothing. Suddenly this pciture came to mind. I actually have a close-up picture of the pails. So I got down to work on it. The metal pail is used as a burner for joss paper during the hungry ghost festival, after that it is just left aside. Its pal is the red mop pail, after we clean the floor, it is just conveniently left to dry and out of our sight. It feels so sad to be 'rejected' and stripped off from its original purpose and use- creep craws all over one, when one feels he or she will be replaced soon.

Post production: desaturation of background, emphasis on the redness to grab attention.

Realism- the back alley and how exactly the pails are placed.

I feel that after the revision I am giving myself 97/100 for the good perspective and concept.

Others' works
I like Jasmine's work, I think she nailed the concept pretty well, showing how the newspaper were splattered and focusing the newspaper being torned and wet by the paper and finally how she express it as stress, how it could be a creep feeling when someone is stress yet she can't help. There is a lot of emotional attachment, yet she is able to objectivity take the other two pictures without being too emotonal. I will give her 95/100

Next, Jillyn's work seems to impress the class but until I heard that she actually moved the snail, I felt that the whole concept just falls apart. Realism being constructed is not realism any more. It is just like a still-life painting, when the artist purposefully placed the objects in a manner he wants to. Her concept is the idea of snail creeping or rather that is the way I see it. No bad feelings please. There is a lack of deep thinking especially for the expressionism photo. Maybe is the different way we defined the terms.

Challenge
Being already 'trained' to look at things in different perspectives and having so much exposure to different literature and culture we are affected by these while taking pictures. We tend to include our interpretations. Photography means to frame something, is already not portraying the realistic and true value of an object/scene. However, what we can do is to try to treat it as objective as possible, imagine we are a journalist, we have to show public an unbias point of view.

This assignment is really looks easy but not easy Haha... till now I shall wait for the rest to upload their pictures before I can give more concrete comments.

Please do share with me your take on my revision work. Does it fit the theme and what I want to portray? Thanks =p

No comments: